SKIN CONTACT AND INHALED POISONS

  Back

SKIN CONTACT AND INHALED POISONS
Paint, paint remover, tar, petroleum products, motor oil and many other chemicals all can cause irritating skin damage and burns. If the dog licks or swallows any of these general poisoning may result.

WHAT TO DO WITH SKIN CONTACT POISONING 

If your dog is convulsing, drowsy or uncoordinated, has obvious chemical skin burns or showing any signs of distress or discomfort get to us or your nearest vet as soon as possible.

If your dog's coat is obviously contaminated carefully clean it
If it is contaminated with paint, tar or motor oil, don't use paint stripper, turpentine, turpentine substitutes or mineral spirits. Don't use concentrated biological detergents. 
1. If the contaminating substance is hard enough, cut away affected hair. If this is not possible, wearing rubber gloves rub large amounts of vegetable or mineral oil into the contaminated areas to loosen the substance. 
2. Once the contaminant is loosened bathe the affected area with lots of soapy warm water. Dish washing liquids and baby shampoos are both gentle and non irritating. Alternatively, use proprietary hand cleaners from the DIY that are safe and non-irritating. 
3. Rinse well and repeat as often as necessary until all contamination is removed.
4. When extensive contamination occurs rub flour or powdered starch in with the vegetable oil to help absorb the poison. Remove the mixture with a wide-toothed comb then bathe the hair in soapy detergent and rinse thoroughly. 

If your dog's coat is contaminated by anything other than paint, solvents tar, petroleum products and motor oil
1. Flush the contaminated area for at least 5 minutes with large quantities of clean water. (Forget about hosepipe bans!)
2. If the whole body has been contaminated with alkali such as caustic soda flush for at least 15 minutes. Concentrate on the eyes. Make sure the arm pits and groin receive as much water as other parts of the body. Flushing the affected area with clean water dilutes the poison, arrests chemical burns and cleans the region.
3. Wearing gloves, wash the affected areas with soapy warm water or mild detergent such as baby shampoo or dish washing liquid. 

WHAT TO DO IF POISONS ARE INHALED
Inhaled poisons most often interfere with breathing. Others, for example, concentrated insecticide fumes, may cause neurological signs like twitching and salivating. If smoke or irritants such as tear gas have been inhaled assume that the air passages have been inflamed. Don't put yourself at risk by entering an environment containing dangerous toxic fumes. Don't underestimate the damage caused by inhaling smoke or other irritant fumes. Serious and potentially fatal swelling may affect the air passages hours later. After any inhalation accident always get our advice and assistance (020 7723 2068).

If your dog has been exposed to inhaled fumes and is either depressed, uncoordinated, has deep red gums, is panting heavily or with difficulty or is convulsing get to us or your nearest vet immediately.

If your dog or cat's coat smells unusual telephone us (020 7723 2068) for advice

Homepage  •   Contact   •   Sitemap

©2017 London Vet Clinic | 86 York Street, London W1H 1QS Company Registered in England and Wales No: 3053413

P 020 7723 2068  

Website by: