PREVENT POISONING

  Back

PREVENT POISONING
Many of the poisonings we see are preventable.
Follow these common sense guidelines, especially if you have a dog that thinks everything it finds by itself is dessert!

Keep rubbish and waste bins securely covered. (A top on the waste bin is not enough to prevent a clever dog from getting at the contents.)

Don't give any chocolate with a high cocoa content to dogs.

Review your home and garden cleaning strategies to reduce cleaning and maintenance chemicals to a minimum.

Do not store dangerous substances in glass containers.

Keep all chemicals in the kitchen, bathroom, garden or garage out of reach of your dog and in child and dog-proof cabinets.

Keep human and veterinary medicines out of reach. A child-proof cap is not a deterrent to a dog. Any package other than glass is easily chewed through.

Don't give human medicines to your dog without first checking with us.

Keep your dog out of the garden for at least 24 hours whenever chemical fertilisers, herbicides or pesticides are used. Chemical sprays used by professional lawn-care services remain as a fine aerosol in the air above the lawn, at dog breathing level for a considerable time. 

Don't let your dog eat grass from a chemically treated lawn or field.

Never use a cleaning product on your dog if it cannot be used on us. 

Take extreme caution with insecticides. Meticulously follow package instructions.  

DON'T LET YOUR DOG DRINK FROM THE TOILET BOWL
Large dogs find the height of toilet bowls just right for drinking from. Don't let you dog do so. Aside from concentrations of potentially dangerous bacteria you dog may also swallow toilet cleaner, almost invariably consisting of dangerous acid or alkali solution. Train your entire family to cover the toilet after use.

THE COMPOST HEAP IS A DOG'S SNACK BAR
The aroma of a healthy compost heap is irresistible to some dogs but it's also potentially deadly. Coffee grounds, onions in any form, apricot, peach and plum stones, apple and pear seeds are all potential poisons. Moulds, fungus and bacteria are additional hazards, including Clostridium botulinum, a bacterium that produces the toxin that causes botulism. Most deadly are toxic mushrooms that may grow on the compost. Keep your compost heap securely fenced, mix it regularly and don't let your dog near it or near compost immediately after it has been spread in the garden.

Homepage  •   Contact   •   Sitemap

©2017 London Vet Clinic | 86 York Street, London W1H 1QS Company Registered in England and Wales No: 3053413

P 020 7723 2068  

Website by: